Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I've been struggling lately with feelings of doubt and insecurity, especially about whether or not God really does know and care about me as an individual. I just can't fathom that a Being so powerful, who created the vastness of the heavens and the earth, and who has billions of children could really care about one solitary child. How does that work? How does He have so many of us, and yet still love and care for each of us as individuals? Even if He does know my name, why would He care about me, when He has so many others who are so much more faithful, devoted, kind, and good? I don't know the answers to any of these questions. All I can do is fall back on prayer, and recognize that when He sends me tender mercies that are tailored to this specific question and challenge, that He must be aware of me. 
The following quote is one of those tender mercies:
"Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely.
He loves us because He is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our résumé but because we are His children. He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken. God’s love is so great that He loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant, and the wicked.
What this means is that, regardless of our current state, there is hope for us. No matter our distress, no matter our sorrow, no matter our mistakes, our infinitely compassionate Heavenly Father desires that we draw near to Him so that He can draw near to us." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have to say, though, that I have always been completely amazed by you. I don't know many people who are "more faithful, devoted, kind, and good" than you. I struggle to not compare myself to others, because that's not what it's all about, but honestly, I don't hold a candle to you. I understand your past and why you might have residual feelings of being "flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken", but that is all gone, covered by the atonement. Anyone who sees you NOW, for who you are and for who you're striving to be sees someone who does pretty much everything she should do and nothing she shouldn't. I want to be like you when I grow up. You inspire me to be better.