I was thrilled to have the opportunity to go and listen to author Richard Paul Evans speak at one of our church buildings this past Sunday. Even though he was suffering from walking pneumonia he still came through and shared some wonderful words of wisdom with us.
Here is an outline of his "5 Doors to Achieve Your Greatest Potential":
1. Know that there is a reason you are here on earth at this time and place. Your life has purpose.
2. You cannot complete your mission or purpose here until you let go of the things that hold you back. Specifically, you must forgive others. In the next 24 hours ask God who you need to forgive and ask Him how to do it.
3. Do something. Take risks. Be a master of your own fate. Go for it. You can't live as a victim of circumstance. You succeed because of your trials and difficulties, not in spite of them.
4. You're going to hit roadblocks; embrace adversity. It's what makes you who you are.
5. Develop your ability to love. Love is not a feeling, it is a choice. We love those we serve. Learn to love the unlovable.
What a wonderful blessing it was to be able to attend this with my husband, daughter and an older sister from church. His message touched each of us and I'm so glad he took the time to stop and speak to us, even with his busy schedule. He's an amazing guy who has turned his challenges into great strengths. I'm glad he was blessed with the ability to convey such touching messages not only in person but also in his writing. I'd recommend any of his books, but especially his latest "The Walk."