Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful for...

As I think over the long list of things that I'm thankful for one thing keeps coming to the front of my mind. I am so thankful that God saw fit in His wisdom and mercy to take a soul as lost as mine and save me from myself. I can't begin to describe the difference between my life 15 years ago with the life I'm living today. I am a completely changed person and none of it would have been possible without the grace and mercy of my Savior Jesus Christ. I have been given so many learning opportunities. So many doors to understanding have been opened that at times I'm overwhelmed at which one to go through first!

I am thankful to be able to look back and realize that all of my mistakes, all of my fears and challenges have been used to make me who I am today. I wasn't bound down by the bad experiences in my life but have been given the chance to rise above what I've done and come closer to becoming the woman God wants me to be.

I am thankful that God takes notice of each one of us individually. What helped me learn and change is probably not the same as what would touch someone else's heart. My road is much different than most of my friends'. But through it all He never gave up on me. He was always there, even when I didn't notice Him.

Now I look around and find that with His spirit to guide me I gain understanding of things that I never even contemplated before. He really does reveal things to those whose eyes and ears are open. I'm sorry I wasted so much of my life being deaf, blind and clueless. But I'm so grateful that He gave me the choice and then gave me the power to change my thinking and my life.

In some ways I almost feel sorry for those who haven't had to overcome major sins in their lives. I am definitely NOT recommending committing sins to experience this, but I think that those who have been the farthest from God and have had the most need of forgiveness are given a special witness of Christ's power and might. The more sick a person is, the more they tend to appreciate and cherish the healing when it happens. And that's how I feel. I was sick, broken, scarred and hurting; now I'm filled with joy and thanksgiving for Jesus' love and His matchless power and majesty. He saves, He heals, He makes us whole. And He is the root of all that I have to be thankful for.

3 comments:

David said...

That is an absolutly awsome thought and i want you to know i am grateful that i could be on that ride with you.

Papa D said...

What a beautiful post, Patty. I am moved to tears. (not an altogether rare occurence, I know, but still . . .)

Mama D said...

What a gift - for you, for your family, and for your friends! Thanks for the reminder that God notices us individually.