Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Things to ponder

I just wanted to share snippets of a couple of things I've read recently.

The first is in an article in the Northwest Press by Father Lou Guntzelman talking about marriage:
"When two people think they are promising each other contentment and perfect love, they promise something that only God can give.
What we can promise, however, is to travel together on the road to it.
What our hearts are looking for is God.
Our longing will always go beyond the other person, and the other person's longing will always go beyond us.
Infinity calls to us in our dreams of romance, love and happines.
...We can gain immense satisfaction, personal growth in love and intimacy, and stand on the threshold of heaven in a healthy and loving relationship- but the best is always ahead. The road goes on into eternity."


The second is basically unrelated but just as profound. It was in an essay called "Miracles" by C.S. Lewis:
"God created the vine and teaches it to draw up water by its roots and, with the aid of the sun, to turn that water into a juice which will ferment and takeon certain qualities. Thus every year, from Noah's time till ours, God turns water into wine. That, men fail to see.
.... they attribute real and ultimate causality to the chemical and other material phenomena which are all that our sense can discover in it. But when Christ at Cana makes water into wine, the mask is off. The miracle has only half its effect if it only convinces us that Christ is God: it will have its full efffect if whenever we see a vineyard or drink a glass of wine we remember that here works He who sat at the wedding party in Cana. "

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I love those quotes! Thanks for sharing! You always enlighten me. :)

Erin said...

oooh! I love the second one! thanks for sharing, Patty! I'll be thinking that over for awhile.

Mama D said...

Those are excellent quotes! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

chelle said...

I sure could use a glass of wine about now!! LOL!
Your first quote reminds me of a movie I just watched. "not easily broken"
It basically had that same theme to it. That there are three ropes in a marriage. One to husband, one ot wife and one to God. If you sever the one from God the other two aren't as strong.
And in all seriousness about the wine quote. I often marvel at all of God's creations. It is all so amazing how everything 'knows' what it needs to do to thrive and survive. Sure things happen that an change the perfect course of nature. But, it is all part of the plan as well. I can't wait to have the answers of how things were created soem day! But, for now I am just happy to have my senses functioning so I can enjoy each and every one of His creations!