Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gratitude

The New Era magazine had a great article on gratitude, but what I loved even more was the exercise it gave to help develop greater gratitude (or become more aware of what we have to be thankful for.) A good friend of mine happened to see the same article I did but mentioned it on her blog first but I'd still like to share 100 things I'm thankful for. The items are broken up into different categories.
Physical Abilities I'm Thankful For:
Hearing
Eyesight
Walking
Smelling
Sleeping
Writing
Tasting
Blinking
Touching
The Ability to Feel
Material Possessions I'm Thankful For:
Computer
House
Car
Watch
Clothes
Books
Lights
Brush
DVR
TV
Living People I'm Thankful For:
Jesus
David
Aimee
My Mom
My Sister
My Aunt Judy
The Prophet
David's Mom
David's Dad
The Mailman (have I mentioned how much I love getting mail?! lol)
Deceased People I'm Thankful For:
My Grandma
My Dad
Gordon B. Hinckley
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Edison
the Apostle Paul
Spencer W. Kimball
Mother Theresa
Beethoven
Things in Nature I'm Thankful For:
Trees
Rocks
Squirrels
Trails
Birds
Grass
Flowers
Caterpillars
Waterfalls
Creeks
Things About Today That I'm Thankful For:
I woke up
I was able to get out of bed
I got to take a warm shower
I had plenty to eat
I got to spend time with family
I got to visit Becky and help her
It was sunny
I got my house cleaned
I survived eating dinner (too much red pepper)
My car still runs
Places on Earth I'm Thankful For:
the Temple
Church
Home
Hocking Hills
the Sacred Grove
Mt. Airy Forest
Cincinnati
Blue Ridge Mountains
West Virginia
the United States
Modern Inventions I'm Thankful For:
lightbulbs
electricity
computers
internet
telephones
washing machines
water heaters
central heat/air
DVR
lawnmowers
Foods I'm Thankful For:
pizza
mushrooms
bread
chocolate
frosted shredded wheat cereal
apples
milk
chicken
tomatoes
steak
Things About the Gospel I'm Thankful For:
the Atonement
the Plan of Salvation
the Scriptures
Personal revelation
Testimony
the Sacrament
Sealings
the Prophet
Relief Society
the Commandments

As I did this exercise last night with my family for Family Home Evening, we all found different things to be thankful for and also realized that 100 things was just the tip of the iceberg. I am really thankful I had the opportunity to do this because I truly am grateful for everything God has blessed me with.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

AWESOME list! I knew some of those things would be on there. (Trails + Patty = Duh!)

Thanks for the link. I can't wait until I actually have time to blog my own list!