Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Cat and Me

We had a big scare this weekend when my favorite cat "Bear" had to be taken to the ER vet on Friday night. He was very lethargic, acted like his stomach hurt and had been vomiting. Turns out he found a bit of curling ribbon and helped himself to it. The vet mentioned surgery and kept him overnight for observation. Thankfully his intestines looked good in the morning. He came home Saturday night and has been improving each day. When I talked to the vet again yesterday they wanted to do surgery because he was still throwing up after eating sometimes but I felt that it was more a food issue than anything else. So far today he threw up once when he got into the dry food (which I've been trying to keep him away from... it seems to cause the problem) but nothing else. He's back to being playful, affectionate and bright-eyed. I can only hope and pray that I'm making the right decision about not taking him back in at this point.

This whole episode has made me all too aware of just how attached I am to this particular cat. I never thought I'd be one of "those people" who would do just about anything for a pet, but I guess I am. Officially.
It was hard not having him at home going through his normal routines... like sitting on the bathroom sink and waiting for someone to turn on the faucet so he can drink, or curling up at my feet to sleep, or jumping up on my lap to be petted. Bear is the most affectionate cat I've ever owned. He's there to greet me each morning when my alarm goes off and also every time I walk in the door. I don't think I've ever known a cat that is so happy to be around people.
So when he got sick it was heart-breaking. I had to imagine what life would be like without Bear and that's something I just wouldn't want to have to face. I know he's not a human and he doesn't take the place of the many good people I have in my life. But he does have a special place in my heart and is an important part of my life. I'm just so grateful that he was spared this time.

I know the non-pet people out there are going to think I'm crazy, but until you have that one special pet come into your life who makes it more enjoyable, you won't understand what I'm talking about. I've been blessed to have that.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I hope his recovery is speedy and complete. Its amazing how much pets can become parts our families. I'm glad Heavenly Father has blessed our world with pets (even if we don't have one yet...)!

Mama D said...

Nah, the non-pet people aren't going to think you're crazy. Even if we haven't experienced these feelings of affection for a pet, we have for our kids or for something else just as meaningful in our own lives. ;)

I'm so glad Bear is home and back to his loving self. Hope he recovers completely and rapidly!