Thursday, December 4, 2008

My hero

I have to admit that I'm a pretty stubborn, fairly independent person. I like to be able to do things myself, on my own. But it's a good thing that things come along on a regular basis that require me to ask for help.
So this month my hero is my hubby- who has at least three times in the past couple of weeks come to my rescue! The first incident was when he willingly gave my cats their vaccinations- which I still haven't been able to bring myself to do. I have no problem loading the syringes and holding the cats but I can't bear the thought of doing anything to cause them pain. Anyone who knows my husband's relationship with a couple of our cats will know that that's not a big problem for him! (Just kidding! He loves the kitties- he just won't admit it to anyone but me!) (Another side note- if anyone needs a rabies shot or general vaccination for their kitty I've got extra in the fridge and you're welcome to it!)
The second way he helped was to get up on the roof and put up the icicle lights. I like doing the lights for the front yard but I am more than a little scared of heights and not at all inclined to climb a ladder and get on a roof, which leaves me at his mercy if I want lights put up there! He not only put them all up but then went through two strands bulb by bulb and replaced every bad bulb so they work great. What a guy!
The third time he saved me was just yesterday. I had decided it was time to change my car's fuel filter. "No problem" I think. Except that it looks like it's never been changed in the life of the car (13 years!) I had no problems de-pressurizing the line, disconnecting the battery and even getting the top bolt off. The bottom bolt (the harder to get to) started fine and then just stopped. No amount of wd-40 or muscle was budging it. I finally had to concede the fact that my husband's help would be required. I hated having to ask him to work on my car as soon as he got home from work but without his help I'd be homebound! Thankfully he has much stronger hands than I do and was able to get the vice grips on the bolt and finally got the filter off. He then was nice enough to let me finish the job (as he put it: "so you can say you did it yourself since you started and finished it!") He knows me well. Except that I couldn't take credit for something that I obviously needed help with. So he's totally my hero.
I think I'll wait a few days before doing any more car repairs. My hands are soft and weak (like a girl's-oh, yeah... I am a girl) and I'll be sore for a couple of days from fighting that filter. All's well that ends well though. The car is running better! And my kitties are safe from horrible diseases. And I have pretty lights for all to see! Yea for David!!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

You are an amazing woman! And David is your perfect match!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such kind words. As far as the car you did most of the work. All I did was loosen a stuborn bolt. Truth be told the only hero in our home is you. The things you accomplish with the little you have always amaze me.

Steve and Jamie said...

Wow, as far as I'm concerned the pair of you are heroes. You'll be getting your super capes for Christmas. . .

Mama D said...

David has been my vehicular hero a few times, as well!

All 3 of you Radabaughs are heroes!!

heather said...

I'm impressed you even know how to do that stuff. I wouldn't even know where to find the filter much less change it. I think you both deserve the hero title.

Cassie Rakes said...

It's awesome having a husband that can help do the things that you hate, or just plain can't do.