Thursday, July 31, 2008

No more pity party- it's time to be content!

Just a few thoughts on things I've been reading in Alma 29-
After all of my whining about not fitting in and not belonging I thought it was funny to read about Alma wishing that he was an angel so that he could cry repentance to every people. Even he isn't content with the gifts and blessings he's received! But the great part comes next when he recognizes that he sins in his wish for he "ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." He turns it right around and instead of wishing for more he ends up reminding all of us that our entire desire should be to perform the work to which we are called. That's all! I don't have to worry about developing a bunch of new "girlie" talents- all I have to do is focus on the work I've been called to perform right now. That means I need to work on developing those talents that are needed as a Relief Society President, such as charity, patience, faith, and teaching ability.
I like how Alma continues this train of thought further on as he explains that he knows what the Lord has commanded him and he glories in it. His glory was that he might "be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." So if I carry my earlier pondering on to this path... my glory, again, is to do what God has commanded me to do. This goes a step further than just filling or even magnifying my calling as RS President. Alma reminds us that ultimately bringing some soul to repentance is our main goal. All that we do in our callings, our families and our lives is to help bring people to Christ, which can only be done through repentance! And when we have any part in a person's journey to Christ we are filled with joy. Again, Alma explained why we have such joy in this: "then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me." In bringing another soul to Christ we are vividly reminded of our own repentance, baptism, and conversion. We are able to bring back all of those wonderful feelings that we had when we knew we were forgiven and when we realized the reach and depth of our Savior's atonement, and what it really means to us personally.
I remember what it felt like to have my burdens taken away. To know that the sins and filth that had been weighing me down were wiped away was a relief of such magnitude that I'm still unable to comprehend fully how He did it. I'm forever grateful to my Savior for His atonement and for giving me the chance to live again... not just eternally but here in this life, too. He gave me peace and hope. He is the source of my strength and my joy. He truly is my Savior, my Redeemer, and my friend.

2 comments:

Papa D said...

That's beautiful, Patty. Thanks.

Mama D said...

Wonderful! Thanks for this perspective. I think I'll read Alma 29 tomorrow...